Housemates part three: Cops'n'Robbers

After leaving our house in Fitzroy, Pen, Stu and I moved across Smith St to Collingwood, and a much dingier abode. Pen and Stu still live there but I moved out of 'Grey Gardens' in 2007.

The only entrance to Grey Gardens is through an alleyway off Easey street. The alleyway usually smells of piss and on weekends there are often piles of empty shoeboxes and clothing tags, presumably belonging to goods stolen from a Smith st Factory outlet.

When I lived there the light switch in the main living room was broken so the only way to turn the light on and off was to remove or insert the light bulb. I kept special leather gloves for this purpose as the bulb was hard to remove when it was hot. However, it wasn't all doom and gloom: Grey Gardens has a lovely backyard with a lemon tree and my room had a glorious golden glow with the mid-afternoon sun.

The most memorable occurrence during my time in the house was The Gun Siege.

I got out of the shower one evening and walked to my bedroom in my towel. I usually left my bedroom curtain open because the window faced a narrow alleyway with no adjoining windows. A bright spotlight was shining through the window into my room!! And there was a *commotion* next door: shouting, and a very loud bang which may or may not have been an actual gunshot! I peered out the window and saw three policeman standing on the roof of the adjoining property, one was shining his torch into my window. I walked back to the bathroom and looked out into the backyard, which was filled with policemen. Two police cars were blocking off the alley. I was surrounded!

Embarrassingly enough, the first thing I did was call Jason. He sagely advised me to get dressed. I got dressed. Then I called the Collingwood police station and was reassured that, "There's a job next door."

Decent, I went into the backyard. The policemen explained that there was a robber in the shop next door but they couldn't find him. I said that if I were robbing my house, I would escape through the front window onto the eaves above the shops. You could run along the eaves for a whole block. So the policemen came through our house (I asked them to look in all the dark corners with their torches) and jumped through our front window.

In the end, the police sniffer dogs found the robber hiding in a cupboard in the shop. Busted.

This year, Pen and Stu called in the police again when they were visited by a Pantless Intruder. But I shall leave that story to them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A sign of the place

Music 2017

A very boxy Boxing Day