the alternative guide to passing
So I just passed the ACEM fellowship exam. Woo hoo!!
Some people say you need to read Tintinalli three times cover-to-cover to pass the exam. This is not true. Here's what you actually should do:
1. Choose a really great study partner, with a good sense of humour and no OCD tendencies.
2. Go to Bikram yoga at least once a week. In Bikram you are basically allowed to sigh heavily for 90 minutes.
3. Surprise even yourself at how much chocolate you can eat. When a snickers bar becomes an acceptable alternative to an actual meal, you've hit the mark.
4. Read Young Adult Fiction. Trust me on this. Engaging narratives, short novels and conflicts that are less stressful to the adult reader.
5. Learn that there is more to life than the exam each time you try to explain it to your non-medical friends. ("I passed the exam!!!!" [pause] "Exam???")
6. Watch Dirty Dancing 3 times in the fortnight before the clinical exam.
7. Run back to the hotel between sections of the clinical exam to cram another couple of episodes of Seachange.
8. After it's all done, improve your fitness using Tintinalli as a kettle-bell.