My weekend in celebrities

1. Alan Ball.
The screenwriter (Six feet under, American Beauty, True Blood and Towelhead) spoke at the Wheeler Centre on Saturday night. He wrote the screen play for American Beauty whilst he was working on the sitcom Sybil. Apparently the key to creating something good is to hate your main job so much that it gives you a furious energy. He also spoke of his admiration for Frances Conroy, the actress who played Ruth in Six Feet Under. He said he could give her a script which read, 'Ruth eats a puppy.' And she would be completely unruffled, "Okay. Well I haven't eaten a puppy before."

2. Patti Smith.
I read her autobiography, 'Just Kids'. By page 7 I had that warm, secure feeling of starting a great book. She is candid, self-critical and name-drops impressively without ever really name-dropping. Cue happy Sunday afternoon listening to the Velvet Underground, drinking gin and reading.

3. Sofia Coppola
Well, not really. but I'm certainly taking her lead when it comes to weddings and wedding dresses. I found a lovely simple dress, not white, not long, NOT from a bridal shop. Jason and I went into Brides of Melbourne for approximately 45 seconds. To put it mildly: it was not for me. Jason thought the dresses looked like mattresses stacked together, and I just thought they all looked dirty. Old and dirty and sad.

Now, to *look* like Sofia Coppola...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music 2017

A sign of the place

A very boxy Boxing Day