No New York

It has finally happened.  I am sick of reading novels set in New York.

I am half-way through 'Triburbia' and I just can't be bothered.  No more lofts, no more wealthy artists, no more stoops.  Grrr!!

This is worthy of note because my love of contemporary American fiction was overwhelming.  Overwhelming.  My book club friends could only look on and laugh as I earnestly spoke of my love of Jonathon Safran Foer, Siri Hustvedt et al.  And to be sure, I still love them.  At best, their intelligence and imagination sparkle off the page.

My admiration of these writers was tempered when I read 'The Tin Drum'.   My favourite 'New York' authors have an enormous stylistic debt to Gunter Grass.

So, here are my favourite books set in New York, which I whole-heartedly recommend.

1. Let the Great world Spin by Colum McCann
2. What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt
3. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathon Safran Foer
4. My Misspent Youth (essays) Meghan Daum
5. Just Kids (biography) Patti Smith

But for me, it is time to move on.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music 2017

A sign of the place

A very boxy Boxing Day